Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pearl-ex and texture effects

There are about a dozen texture sheets in my desk that I always wanted to use. Tried some mokume gane using one of the sheets some time ago and that was all I did with those wonderful tools. Couple of days back I pulled out the sheets and some pearl-ex powders from my stock and this is what I ended up with.This turquoise pearl-ex is tried and tested and I love this color particularly in contrast with the black base. I did a similar piece long time ago and posted the picture on flickr. The stamp is from the Barbara mcguire collection. I just love this stamp. It has about five different patterns flowing and works so well with polymer clay.
Next came the copper powder and the Spring Morning texture sheet by Sculpey. This is another texture sheet that I love. It creates nice sharp impressions on clay. The effect of copper on black and the impression of leaves translated into the shadow of a tree branch and I am glad I tried this combination.
How would it be to have two different colors of pearl-ex on the same piece? Well, this is what it looks like. This stamp is also from the Sculpey collection. The combination of gold, copper and black made the piece look kind of antique but the pattern very ethnic with the arabesque motifs.This one is my favorite. This piece looks a lot metallic than the rest in my opinion.
The next piece was made with a burnt pinkish shade of pearl-ex and by the time I reached this piece I got so bored of the cutters and the monotony of the common shapes. Cut out the pieces in a way that the shape flows with the pattern,with no symmetry and I think it looks good this way. Added a pearl at to each piece while stringing. I may get tired of the shapes but not the stamp. This is my favorite stamp and Thanks to Barbara McGuire.
I made a few more of these in other color and patterns. For pictures, visit my flickr album

No comments:

Post a Comment